One Year of Blogging... Whew!

basang panaginip



It's been one hell of a blogging ride:




  • 52 Blog Posts.


  • 100+ web feeds subscribers.


  • 540 Comments.


  • More than a million visitors.


  • Over 2 million views.







The Year in Review




October 11, 2005: Nikki Alfar, Barenaked, and Missyosigirl lauded my first wet dreams entry!



October 18, 2005: Barenaked returns to comment about Love Potion.



October 19, 2005: Slim Whale appended my first prostitute story.



October 20, 2005: I manual trackbacked Sassy Lawyer's entry on prostitution. Ella, Slim Whale, and Buwayahman, joined the conversation.



October 22, 2005: I wrote a very long post regarding Beauty and Fat, as a reaction to the Dove Billboard. Barenaked, Ella, and Missyosigirl returned to comment. Cathy stop by so that I can update my blogroll.



November, 2005: 1 month Hiatus. Missyosigirl featured me, buwayahman, ella, & libido in her blog. She wants me to update more.



December 9, 2005: Redesigned Blog, wrote about it.



Angela comments on it as well as on some of the previous posts. Karla, featured my design at her blog and at Pinoy Tech Blog. John of Blogfresh, blog about it. Johan Sundstrom, the javascript expert, comments that it is an interesting design. Tania of IT Girl replied that the design is quite unique. Estan of Flickr Philippines comments, he said that he loves the simple design.



Blog traffic exploded: from a dozen to a hundred readers.



December 9, 2005: I wrote on a whim about OFW Balikbayans during Christmas. Tito Rolly, the wonderful teacher, wrote a comment.



December 12, 2005: Repost my first and only blog post: a parody about my coño ex-girlfriend. Missyosigirl was surprised that I was the one who wrote Ella Marie. Barenaked was amused. Angela laughed.



December 12, 2005: Atsay Killer, an erotic taglish short story about a man sleeping with the family maid. I deleted it afterwards.



December 15, 2005: Second Prostitute story.



December 23, 2005: Part 1 of a Baguio short story entitled You're Married. Holiday greetings from Angela, Tito Rolly, and Bitch Goddess.



December 30, 2005: A day before my 30th Birthday. I wrote a letter of advice on love for my sisters. Dexie, Tito Rolly, Missyosigirl, and Barenaked greeted me Happy Birthday.



January 1, 2006: Posted Andrew Loomis art books. A total of 26 ebooks posted in just one day for download. My traffic doubled to few hundreds.



January 4, 2006: Searched for Sassy Lawyer's Missing Files. Sassy thanked me at her blog. Abe, Tito Rolly, Angela, and Gigi congratulated me. Von trackbacks to his blog.



January 12, 2006: On Maria Clara and Jose Rizal. Angela commented.



January 22, 2006: I dubbed Manny Pacquiao as a Warrior. Mindovervagina, Rob, and Yamyam liked what I wrote.



January 29, 2006: The Sexiest Filipino Bloggers. Everyone on the list gave a positive feedback.



February 15, 2006: The Sexiest Filipina Bloggers. Everyone on the list replied back. The blog traffic again doubled.



February 22, 2006: Missyosigirl tagged me. I replied with Why I Love Women. She loved it.



March 1, 2006: By this time, everyone wants to know the real person behind Basang Panaginip. I wrote Chona, Chona, Nasaan Ka in reply.



March 6, 2006: Inspired by a blog entry written by Missyosigirl, I dedicated a poem to her.



March 19, 2006: A tribute to filipino comedy writers of the 90's. Jessica Zafra read it. Bob Ong replied, and thanked me in email.



March 26, 2006: A three months summer hiatus. Most hoped that my break from blogging would be temporary.



July 29, 2006: I'm back! The World's Most Photorealistic Vector Art. Everyone on the list thanked me for including them.



I posted it at digg, my first. My traffic shoot up to a catastrophic level. The few hundreds visitors I had, transformed into hundreds of thousands overnight because of the referal from digg.



Imagecave Photo hosting timed out. So I transfered all the photo to Photobucket, which also timed out in a few days. So I switched to Flickr, which although didn't timed out, wasn't direct hotlinking friendly either, thereby erasing all my photo at their site. The photos of the high volume post is now hosted at Blogger.



Abe, has a beautiful analysis on the whole event on his blog. Kudos from Buwayahman . Von on his blog explained how international traffic can boost a blog's traffic. Rickey made me laughed with a parody using his Pinoy Top Blogs tagline.



August 21, 2006: Blogger upgraded their system. I wrote my first tutorial. John of Freshblog commented that I am the first to write a method for Blogger Beta categories.



August 23, 2006: My second Blogger Beta tutorial. Freshblog and Blogerrato included it in their list.



September 6, 2006: Kwentong Tambay Book Review. Batjay put a favorite word next to my link on his list!



September 8, 2006: Blogger Beta opened Edit HTML. I wrote my third tutorial. It was again, included at Freshblog and Blogerrato.



September 19, 2006: I featured Margarita Holmes new website. I was the first to review her website. It reminds missyosigirl of her childhood days.



September 27, 2006: I tried to defend filipino bloggers from foreign slur.



September 28, 2006: Took photos during the milenyo storm.



October 1, 2006: A list of Filipino Bloggers who experienced the storm. Noemi, kiven, suzaku lace, alma, and doc emer visits. Missyosigirl was glad that I'm okay.





Searches



Around a third of the visitors of this blog originates from searches. Here are some (click a few to see sample search result):







Invites



December 31, 2005: Angela invited me to write a book review for Pinoy Book Reviews. I promised her that I would, but because of my chaotic life, I never got around to doing it.



February 3, 2006: Rachel and her classmates, wanted me to meet them, to help on their graduation thesis. The thesis tackles Prostitution. I declined because I am not an expert on the issue. She then asked to use my posts as a reference instead. I agreed.



March 26, 2006: Janette invited me to be a speaker for iBlog2: The 2nd Philippine Blogging Summit. I couldn't make it.



May 25, 2006: I was invited to be a guest summer lecturer on a seminar on Blogging for a college org. I declined, because there are better, more qualified people than me.



August 1, 2006: An account manager asked about advertising on my blog. Demographics, statistics, and writing about a product was required. I declined. One month later, I decided to put Adsense instead.




Q&A



Is your name really Michael?

Next question.



Are you from U.P. Fine Arts?

eh? I wonder why I usually get this question? Answer: Does the sun set at dawn? Although, I was one time or another, a graphic artist and web designer.



Did you wrote Chona in the City?

To answer that, would ruin the fun.



Are you female?

Wait, let me check... what do you think?



Can you show us your photo?

I showed my photo at my Birthday Post.



The photo have been removed.

It's not my birthday today. :)



How much did you earn from your first month in Adsense?

Twice the monthly minimum wage equals?



What are your future plans for this blog?

I'm not really big on planning. I thrive on chaos.


But in the near future, I would very much like to break the topics here, probably mirroring them on segmented blogs.



So you will create new blogs?

Yes.



The new blogs will still be in blogspot?

It will be hosted somewhere else using Wordpress. One thing is for sure: new topics on love and sexiness will remain here.



What have you learned from one year of blogging?

I would like to highlight and thank in particular, missyosigirl. She stuck around here for one whole year. If anything else, missyosigirl is a great example of why good content and good design is not enough. Humans conversing matters too. So thank you Shelley, and thank you reader, wherever you are, for traversing the ups and down of this blog.



It's been one hell of a chaotic, frustrating, yet satisfying blogging year. Sophomore Slump, begone! Onwards, onwards.


18 comments:

  1. Anonymous (12 October, 2006 11:12)

    Happy Blog Birthday!

    Anonymous (12 October, 2006 16:40)

    I will never be able to thank you enough for finding those missing files. Thanks again. And congratulations for making it through a whole year of blogging. so many others don't even make it beyond 3 months. Cheers.

    missyosigirl (12 October, 2006 20:21)

    first of all, happy happy happy 1st blog anniversary :)

    when you started your hiatus, i really felt na sayang na you won't continue with your blogging, lalo na since you write so well pa man din.

    and here you are now, one year later, and still churning out those beautiful beautiful posts of yours.

    since you're thanking me for being a regular visitor to your blog (grabe, napansin ko nga na talagang mentioned ang pagbisita ni missyosigirl sa rundown of blog events mo ha :P), mas malaki ang pasasalamat ko sayo because you've always given me a reason to visit your blog.

    cheers, michael! and cliche as this may be, but i hope you enjoy more years of blogging! ;)

    Anonymous (12 October, 2006 22:37)

    wow congrats! btw, SEO keyword made me find this site. :P

    Anonymous (13 October, 2006 16:30)

    Angela >> Salamat. The best ka talaga, biruin mo, kahit hindi ko nagawa 'yung book review, nandito ka pa rin.

    Hayaan mo bago mag-pasko, gagawa ako ng review. Tungkol sa libro ni Casanova. Promise.

    :)

    Anonymous (13 October, 2006 16:33)

    Sassy,

    Naku, wala 'yun. Ikaw pa.

    S'ya nga pala pag lumabas 'yung bago mong blog, ifi-feature ko s'ya dito.

    Anonymous (13 October, 2006 16:59)

    Shelley,

    Alam mo namang ikaw ang blog muse ko, eh.
    :)

    Anonymous (13 October, 2006 17:32)

    Laarni,

    Salamat sa pagbati, at pagbisita.

    Astig 'nung mousepad. Galing talaga ni Edgar.

    :)

    Anonymous (13 October, 2006 19:20)

    whoa! naka-one year ka na pala. happy anniv sa blog mo, BP. many more years to come. more pampa-L entries, hehe! ;)

    batjay (14 October, 2006 07:33)

    congratulations school mate.

    your review of the book is still my favorite. very well researched - in fact, mas marami ka pang nakilala na mga taong involved sa libro kaysa sa akin.

    sana magpatuloy pa ang iyong magandang ginagawa.

    (BACKGROUND MUSIC: dito sa part na ito tinutugtog ang notre dame hymn)

    jay

    Anonymous (14 October, 2006 13:06)

    chona, bumalik ka na.

    isang taon na ang basang panaginip ko.

    di ko na matiis =)

    Anonymous (14 October, 2006 21:58)

    ey! BP - unang taon..nice! basa_ng basa nako :)

    pee (16 October, 2006 17:22)

    Yay! Happy birthday to your blog! Hope to 'read' more from you. :)

    Anonymous (16 October, 2006 18:32)

    salamat kuya jay,

    nagulat talaga ako ng makita ko 'yung favorite na naka-kabit sa listahan mo!

    Siya nga pala 'yung yellow book available na sa National! Tumama ako sa hula! Hahahah.

    P.S.
    Na-banggit din pala ni barenaked 'yung libro sa blog n'ya.

    Anonymous (16 October, 2006 18:39)

    von,

    thank you nga pala sa pag-banggit sa akin sa nakaraang dalawang pinoy top blogs review mo.

    Anonymous (16 October, 2006 18:41)

    kalibugan,

    isang taon lang? hahahah.

    siya nga pala, maiba ako, bakit walang web feeds ang bago mong blog?

    Anonymous (16 October, 2006 18:46)

    Pinky,

    Merci, merci.

    Quelques décisions sont plus dures que les la plupart.

    Salamat, nice avatar by the way.
    *ahem*

    Milton Ramirez (06 February, 2007 20:21)

    Hey! Your new design really rocks! I love it. Once you change it to Wordpress, are going to let us use it in Blogspot as an Open Design? Pleaaaase....?

Post a Comment